Homemade fruit scone recipe
You really can't beat homemade scones. These are so much better than the ones you can buy in the shops and they're dead easy to make.
Self-raising flour 675g (24oz)
Margarine 170g (6oz)
Caster sugar 125g (4.5oz)
Sultanas 125kg (4.5oz)
large egg 1 egg
Milk (approx) 150ml
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC
- Place flour, sugar and margarine in a clean mixing bowl.
- Rub ingredients together until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sultanas and mix through breadcrumb mix.
- Add beaten egg along with 100ml of milk and mix through with a knife, adding a little more milk until mixture comes together to form a firm dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on to a well-floured surface.
- Roll out until a depth of 2 fingers and cut with a 7cm pastry cutter.
- Place on baking sheet lined with baking parchment and brush top with some milk.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden and well-risen.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooking rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cold with butter, jam of your choice and fresh clotted cream for an indulgent treat.