Courgette, Lemon and Thyme Sponge
A delicious treat which can be considering on the healthy side - it is full of fruit and veg of course.
- Margarine 350g
- Caster Sugar 300g
- Gluten free self-raising flour 400g
- 7 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 5g baking powder
- 5g bicarbonate soda
- 300g Courgette – grated
- 15g fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1tsp of Xanthan gum
- 50g Courgette, julienne
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 lemon
- 100g margarine
- 150g icing sugar
- 50g honey
- Beat the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and 100g of the flour, beat again.
- Add the remaining flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, courgette, lemon juice and zest, thyme and Xanthan gum.
- Fold through gently until combined.
- Divide between two 18.5 inch lined baking tins. Put into the oven at 160 for 25-30 minutes until risen and cooked through, test with a skewer; remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the sugar in a pan with the lemon juice and bring to the boil.
- Add the julienned courgette and lemon zest boil for a couple of minutes until softening, remove from the heat.
- Place the courgette on a lined tray and leave to go cold.
- Make the frosting by whisking the ingredients together until smooth, place one of the cakes on a board and level the top.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake.
- Place the remaining cake on top of the frosting and scatter over the candied courgette.