Beetroot and potato salad
This seasonal salad is perfect for sharing with friends and family at a summer BBQ. The ingredients are easy to grow at home, or you can pick them up at your local farmer's market.
- Potatoes 1 lb
- Beetroot - cooked 4 small
- Pickled gherkins 2
- Red onion 1 small
- Cucumber ½
- Fresh dill to garnish
For the dressing
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Red wine vinegar 2 tbsp
- Freshly chopped dill 2 tbsp
- Garlic 1 crushed clove
- salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cook in salted boiling water for about 15 minutes or until cooked. Drain and set aside to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough, dice them with a sharp knife and cut the beetroot into thin slices. Place both ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Slice the cucumber, gherkins and red onion and arrange on a serving dish.
- Lay spoonfuls of the potato and beetroot mixture on top, centred towards the middle.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a small mixing bowl or shake vigorously in a jar with a screw-on lid. Pour evenly over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the chopped dill and serve.