The ingredients in this warming root vegetable crumble can be adapted to suit whatever is in season and easily available.
- 4 stickscelery
- 2 largeparsnips
- 800gtinned chopped tomatoes
- 500mlvegetable stock
- Small bunchfresh basil
- Small bunchfresh mixed herbs
- 4 slicesbread (white and brown)
Note: any root vegetable can be used or substituted depending on seasonal availability.
- Peel the root vegetables, and wash the celery and mushrooms.
- Chop all of your vegetables into even sized chunks, approx 1 inch (2.5cm)
- Saute the vegetables until just soft, approx 5 mins.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the vegetable stock and the chopped basil.
- Simmer for approx 5 mins until the sauce is heated through.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top this with the bread crumbs and mixed chopped herbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven at gas mark 4 (180C) for approx 20 mins and until the topping is golden brown.