The ingredients in this warming root vegetable crumble can be adapted to suit whatever is in season and easily available.
- Potatoes 1kg
- Carrots 1kg
- Leeks 500g
- Celery 4 sticks
- Mushrooms 200g
- Parsnips 2 large
- Tinned chopped tomatoes 800g
- Vegetable stock 500ml (1pint)
- Fresh basil Small bunch
- Fresh mixed herbs Small bunch
- Bread (white and brown) 4 slices
Note: any root vegetable can be used or substituted depending on seasonal availability.
- Peel the root vegetables, and wash the celery and mushrooms.
- Chop all of your vegetables into even sized chunks, approx 1 inch (2.5cm)
- Saute the vegetables until just soft, approx 5 mins.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the vegetable stock and the chopped basil.
- Simmer for approx 5 mins until the sauce is heated through.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top this with the bread crumbs and mixed chopped herbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven at gas mark 4 (180C) for approx 20 mins and until the topping is golden brown.