Many of our visitors to Watersmeet stop off for a traditional cream tea in our tea garden. Why not try these fruit scones at home for yourself. Fresh from the oven with clotted cream and a delicious jam of your choice.
- 450g/1lb self-raising flour
- 115g/4oz soft margarine
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz sultanas
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C or gas mark 4
- Add flour and marg to a bowl and rub in with finger tips or use an electric mixer
- Add the caster sugar.
- Mix until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the sultanas and mix.
- Beat the egg and milk together.
- Save a little milk mix and then add the rest a little at a time to the flour mixture until it comes together and forms a dough.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface.
- Roll out and cut using a 7cm pastry cutter. Dough should be about 2 finger widths deep and almost to the top of the cutter.
- brush the tops with the reserved milk mixture and bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes