Winchester City Mill’s chocolate brownie recipe
This moist, chocolatey brownie recipe, perfect for big kids and little ones, is guaranteed to be a year round, comfort food, crowd pleaser. For best results use fresh, stoneground flour straight from the Mill.
- 125g Winchester City Mill wholemeal flour
- 250g unsalted butter
- 275g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g good quality dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (fan 180C/gas mark 6)
- Grease a shallow baking tray, approximately 20x25cm and line the base of the tray with baking parchment.
- Put the butter and chocolate in to a basin and melt over a saucepan of hot water (or in a microwave). Stir the butter and chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and caster sugar together until fully combined. Add the vanilla extract.
- Beat the butter and chocolate mixture in to the egg and sugar until fully combined.
- Add the salt and baking powder to the flour and fold carefully into the chocolate mixture. Try not to over-mix or the brownies might be tough.
- Pour the mixture in to the prepared tray and smooth the surface with a knife or spatula.
- Bake on the middle oven shelf for 25-30 mins. Check brownies are cooked by inserting a skewer in to the centre – it should come out damp but clean, without any mixture sticking to it.
- Place tray on a cooling rack, leaving the cake in the tray to cool.
- When cool, cut in to squares and dust with icing sugar.
Cook’s Tip: If you're making a tray just for grown-ups why not try a boozy chocolate orange brownie by adding 4 tablespoons of orange liqueur, ½ a teaspoon of orange essential oil and the fine zest of 2 oranges at step 3.