Deer diary: The Attingham herd
Attingham’s Deer Park was created in 1798 as part of Thomas, 2nd Lord Berwick’s grand improvements to the Mansion and grounds. Today, around 200 fallow deer, descended from the original herd live in the park. Take a stroll along the Deer Park, Woodland, or World War II walk for a glimpse of Attingham's popular residents.
Deer diary: Winter/spring
January to February
As winter sets in, and the temperature drops lower we continue to feed the deer their daily winter rations to help them through the colder weather.
This is an important time for the herd’s youngsters born last summer as they learn about the hierarchy in the herd, and learn important skills to survive during the winter. Following the herd they will learn how to find food in the winter months, as well as where they can shelter from the cold easterly wind that sweeps through the Deer Park.
" As winter sets in in January we keep a close eye on the herd to ensure they are fit and healthy. Feeding them each day gives us the chance to see the full herd up close and keep an eye out for any problems."
Deer feeding takes place in different places across the estate throughout the week but on Saturdays and Sundays from now until Sunday 4 March, and during the February half-term from Saturday 17 to Sunday 25 February, you can watch the deer being fed at 2pm in the Deer Park.
A love of deer
The deer have always had a special place at the heart of Attingham. Thomas 8th Lord Berwick was particularly fond of the deer and fed them daily, with special favourites eating out of his hand. Thomas lived at Attingham from the early 1920s until his death in 1947. Following his wishes, his ashes and those of his wife Teresa (who lived at Attingham until her death in 1972) were placed at the memorial in the Deer Park, in a glade with views of the estate.
Following on from Thomas, the deer herd are today carefully managed by Attingham's rangers.