Our divine damson chutney goes with so many things. How about making up a batch and gifting to friends for Christmas?
- 2 lb/900g damsons (stoned)
- 1lb/450g demerara sugar
- A blade of mace
- 4 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- ½ pint vinegar (malt or wine)
- Place all of the ingredients, except the vinegar, into a pan and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the vinegar and continue to simmer gently for an hour
- Rub the mixture through a sieve, return pulp to pan and cook gently for 10 more minutes, stirring well so it doesn’t catch.
- Pot and keep for at least 2 weeks to mature.