Summer activities at Chirk Castle
There are plenty of activities happening at Chirk Castle to keep you and the whole family entertained this summer. Whether you are looking for historical events and activities to take you back to the past, regular opportunities to get active and enjoy the estate, or kid friendly fun for the summer holidays, there's lots to see and do through July and August.
Below is a list of activities and events taking place at Chirk Castle over the summer holidays. We also have our garrison guards in most days to help you try on arms and armour and find out more about the castle's medieval past, regular inside and courtyard tours, special kids trails through the State Rooms, and oversized games in the gardens.
To find out more, and for booking details, please see our website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/chirk-castle/whats-on
Or if you want to download the list of events in PDF format to stick to the fridge please click this link:
Chirk Castle summer 2019
- Every day: try dressing up in the Adam Tower, ride hobby horses in the courtyard, play tennis or oversized games in the gardens.
- Tuesdays: join our Ranger team for an evening guided bat walk to learn all about Chirk Castle's special nighttime tennants. Pre-book via our website. £5 per person. Places limited.
- Tuesdays: Join our volunteer Nordic Walking group to get active and explore the Chirk estate. Free. Please call 01691 777 701 to let them know you are coming.
- Saturdays: Join our volunteer Beginner Running club to get started exploring the estate, and perhaps you'll soon be taking on our 10k run! Free. Please call 01691 777 701 to let them know you are coming.
- 20 & 21 July: Civil weekend. We welcome the Company of Pikemen & Musketeers of the Honourable Artillery Company to Chirk Castle. Dressed in period Civil War armour, the company will parade each day at 1pm, including traditional marching, flag waving, salute and musket firing. Also speak to National Trust firears advisor Brian Godwin in Cromwell hall about Chirk Castle's very special musket collection. Normal admission applies.
- 23, 30 July & 15 August: Make a fire-breathing dragon craft activity. Between 11am and 3pm.
- 25 July & 22 August: Potions and Posies. Learn all about medieval medicines. Between 11am and 3pm.
- 31 July & 7, 14, 21, 28 August: Washday Wednesdays. Help the maids bring Chirk Castle's historic laundries to life! Between 11am and 3pm.
- 1 & 13 August: Marvellous minibeasts. Explore the world of minibeasts on this guided 45 minute walk with activities. 11am and 1pm. No need to book.
- 6, 20 & 29 August: Climb a huge hill. With games and activities along the way this 1 hour walk starts at 11am at Home Farm.
- 8 & 27 August: Pond gazing. Discover a secret underwater world. Our pond is full of life, all you need to do is take a closer look! Meet at the pond between 11am and 3pm.
- 27 August: Mr Magnolia: outdoor theatre in the garden. Join Mister Magnolia on his wacky adventures, filled with Folksy Theatre's bold characters, live music, puppetry and audience interaction, it's a day out not to be missed! Pre-booked tickets only. See website for booking details.
- 17,18 & 24,25 August: Have-a-go archery. Try your hand at archery on the meadow in front of the castle. Join the Wrexham Bowmen on 17 & 18 August, and Blaidd Field Archers on 24 & 25 August.
- 1 & 2 Sept. Battle of Crogen re-enactment weekend. Join us for a fascinating look at life in the early medieval period as we welcome re-enacting groups Cwmwd Ial and Les Miles des Marches to Chirk Castle. Normal admission applies.
For more information about all of the events please see our website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/chirk-castle/whats-on