Pirton Castle outer eye-catcher
Pirton Castle was designed by James Wyatt in 1801. Located on a ridge called Rabbit Bank, Pirton Castle was designed to be viewed from the park at Croome and was deliberately built as a ruin to make the 6th Earl of Coventry’s estate seem much older than it actually was.
It is made of very precisely cut stone called ashlar and consisting of just a wall and a tower, it is more like a stage set than a real castle. The cedars behind now over 200 years old act a s a dramatic evergreen backdrop.
We were able to acquire Pirton Castle and several acres of surrounding land in 2009.
The acquisition and restoration of the building was completed thanks to substantial funding from Natural England.