Toffee Apple Cake
A combination of apples, warming spices and toffee is always going to be a match made in heaven. By being able to use Lyveden apples our toffee apple cake is a real taste of this special place.
Cakes and bakes
For the Cake
- 200g Pitted dates
- 200ml Milk
- 250g Stork butter
- 280g Self- raising flour
- 200g Light soft brown sugar
- 3g Baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 20g Mixed spice
- 10ml Vanilla flavouring
- 3 Apples (large cookers or an equivalent volume of smaller apples)
For the Toffee Sauce
- 100g Light soft brown sugar
- 100g Butter
- 60ml Double cream
- Heat the oven to 160oC.
- Place the dates and milk in a pan and bring to the boil then immediately reduce to simmer and cook for 2-3 mins until the dates are soft.
- Use a stick blender and process until smooth (think baby food texture!)
- Place the rest of the cake ingredients (except the apple) in a bowl and set aside while you prepare the apple.
- Peel, core and dice the apples into grape sized chunks.
- Mix the cake ingredients until light and fluffy. Fold through the chunks of apple.
- Divide the mix equally between two 9" cake pans, which have been base lined, and bake for 25 - 35 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cakes are cooling make the toffee sauce. Begin by placing all of the sauce ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil. Gently simmer for 1- 2 mins until the sauce starts to thicken slightly. Let it cool until it has begun to thicken (not eating it at this stage is the hardest part!) before using it to sandwich and top the cake.