Searching for the voice of 'Young Henry' at Plas Newydd
Plas Newydd have launched the search for a budding young actor to record the voice of 14-year-old Henry Paget, the 7th Marquess of Anglesey, as part of their exciting new experience to bring ‘Young Henry’ to life through audio this summer.
Open to 11 to 16 year olds to play the role of 7th Marquess of Anglesey
The search for a volunteer to play the role of the 7th Marquess is part of the celebrations to mark the return of the 1936 ‘Young Henry’ painting depicting the Marquess in his teens, which had been lost from Plas Newydd until last year.
Interested applicants, aged between 11 and 16 year olds, are being asked to record themselves reading lines of a selected script and submit their audition via e-mail by Sunday 8 April. No previous acting experience is necessary.
Entries will be whittled down to a shortlist before the successful actor is chosen by the Marquess’ granddaughter and professional actress, Lady Clara Paget.
" I can’t wait to help choose the voice that will help bring my grandfather’s childhood experiences to life..."
The new volunteer will need to be available to come to Plas Newydd between 21 and 29 April (Evenings or Weekends) to record the pieces that will then be played on motion activated speakers around the famous family home in Anglesey, bringing ‘Young Henry’ to life for the thousands of visitors that come to the house throughout the summer.
Clara, who is known for her roles in St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold, Fast & Furious 6 and more recently as Anne Bonny in the successful series Black Sails, said:
“I’m really excited to be part of this search. Plas Newydd is such a big part of my family’s history and an amazing place to explore. I can’t wait to help choose the voice that will help bring my grandfather’s childhood experiences to life there.”
Barbara Stanley, Visitor Experience Manager at Plas Newydd added:
“To celebrate the return of this special painting, we want people to be able to experience what summers were like for Henry at Plas Newydd and to feel as if 14-year-old Henry has stepped straight out of the portrait and come to life around the house.
“It may be quite an emotional experience, especially for us at the property. We knew the Marquess very well in his later years and researching his life as a young boy and seeing how the person we knew so well as an adult grew up here has certainly brought back some fond memories.
“Back from Eton for the summer, visitors will feel his presence, interact with his history and see how family summers at Plas Newydd shaped his future, inspired his passions and ignited his love for this amazing family home.”
The 'Young Henry' experience will be on display at Plas Newydd from May to October.
- Register your interest on our volunteering system here where parental/guardian permission can be given.
- Record two of the following lines, using a phone is fine, and send your submission to email@example.com
Lines of script
- Excuse me, what are you doing in my room?
- Can you help me with my homework?
- Mummy, have you seen my Latin dictionary? It's not on the shelf where I left it
- Are you ready I want to play in the garden before it gets dark
- Caroline, look at what I've found in the cellar. Isn’t it amazing!
To help you record your lines, here’s some more information on Henry’s character:
- Name: Henry Paget
- Age: 14
- Tone of voice: Young Henry would have been fairly well spoken with an English accent. But he didn’t sound ‘posh’!
- Background information: Son of the 6th Marquess and Marchioness of Anglesey, Henry was educated at Eton and spent his term time away from home. He loved to come back to Plas Newydd for his holidays.
- Interests: music, art, history, researching into his family archives and learning to play the cello.
The successful volunteer will be informed by e-mail by 15 April, 2018
If you would like more information please feel free to contact Plas Newydd on 01248 714 795 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Voice auditions must be submitted by e-mail before 5pm on Sunday 8 April
- The successful volunteer will also need to be registered on our volunteering system and parental permission given before Sunday 8 April
- Submissions will be shortlisted by the property team, using tone of voice, clarity, characterisation and accent as scoring criteria.
- The shortlisted volunteers will then be judged in a final round by Lady Clara Paget and successful volunteer chosen
- The successful volunteer will be informed by e-mail by 15 April, 2018
- The successful applicant will need to complete copyright assignment and volunteer model release forms. Available to view here
- This volunteering role is open to anyone between the age of 11 and 16. Applicants must obtain the consent of a parent or guardian
- The successful volunteer actor will need to be able to travel to Plas Newydd accompanied by a parent or guardian any day between 21 and 29 April where the script (10 lines) will be recorded.
- Recording will take place between 4pm and 6pm during the week and 10am and 6pm on weekends between 21 and 29 April
- This is a volunteer role and no fee is offered
- We are unable to offer any expenses and traveling costs to Plas Newydd can only be accepted for a journey of less than 20 miles from the property.
- The successful applicant and his or her immediate family/guardians (up to a maximum 6 people) will be offered a special tour of Plas Newydd to hear their voice around the house.