The big bulb plant at Stowe
We've got an exciting autumn ahead of us with 3,200 bulbs to plant in the gardens. Get stuck in with our team to help us achieve this task to enjoy a display of colour for years to come.
Thanks for all your help in planting bulbs to enjoy next spring. Please take a look at our spring feature article below to plan a visit and see the fruits of your labour, or re-visit this article in 2020 to get involved with the next Big bulb plant.
The spring flowers at Stowe have increased year on year, bringing colourful displays and delightful plants to the gardens. Between 28 Oct and 1 November get the whole family involved in some green-fingered fun to make the displays even bigger and better. The activity will run Monday to Friday, from 10am-4pm.
Did you say 3,200?
It's no mean feat, there are a lot of bulbs to plant. With help from the gardens team, local schools, corporate volunteers, a bulb planting machine and members of the public, we're confident we can conquer this task.
We're focusing on our favourites for Stowe:
- Monday 28 - We’ll be planting 1000 bluebells along Bell Gate Drive. This'll will add to the new meadow which was started last year to welcome visitors as they stroll down to the historic entrance of the gardens
- Tuesday 29 - 550 martagon lillies will add to the delicate meadow down Gurnet's Walk by the Sleeping Wood
- Wednesday 30 - 1000 tulips will enhance the surroundings of the Chinese House
- Thursday 31 - Help bring a flutter of 250 bell shaped spring snowflakes to the Pebble Alcove
- Friday 1 - Brighten up the displays near to Queen Caroline with 400 cyclamen to plant
The task itself
When you arrive at the New Inn visitor centre, the welcome team will let you know which location the bulb plant is taking place in that day. Make your way down to the location where the gardeners will get you started.
You'll be given pots of bulbs and shown spots to plant. You can choose as little or as many bulbs you want to help plant. Wear old, comfy clothes and suitable shoes or wellies as you're going to get stuck in and possibly muddy. We'll provide gloves and trowels, but feel free to bring along your own should you wish.
How do I get involved?
If you know when you can come along and help, get in touch with us below, the gardens team can make sure they've got all the equipment out and ready to go. Alternatively if your diary is flexible, you're welcome to drop in to the event on any of the days, your support would be greatly appreciated - the more the merrier.
Get in touch
Drop us a message - send your details to sign up to the event or ask any questions, we love to chat.