Summer for families at Bodnant Garden
This summer we’re inviting families to rediscover nature words – and experiences - which are being lost in the digital age through our Lost Words Trail, one of a host of adventures you can enjoy together this holiday.
The trail is based on the book of the same name, written by Robert McFarlane and illustrated by Jackie Morris, celebrating some of the words that have been lost from children’s dictionaries in recent years; words such as ‘broadband’ and ‘chatroom’ now have a place, while others like ‘bramble’ and ‘conker’ have disappeared.
From July 21 to August 26, families will be able to follow a simple, self-led trail around the garden looking out for lost words relating to animals and plants.The trail ends at the Old Mill in the Dell, where children can read the book, and have a go at creating some poems and spells of their own. The Lost Words Trail is a free activity (normal garden admission applies.)
Alongside the trail there’ll be other activities for families every single day of the holidays (normal garden admission/entry fee applies):
- Music at the Pin Mill: Welsh harpist Dylan Cernyw performing at the Pin Mill (Pavilion if wet) on Sunday July 22, 2pm - 4pm (free, no booking needed.) Also this day Afternoon Tea on The Terrace on the same time (fully booked.)
- History of Bodnant: Guided walk on Saturday July 28 at 12noon, Free, no booking needed.
- Children’s Bird Walks: Monday July 30 and Friday August 24, 1.30 to 2.30pm and 3 to 4pm. Free, no booking needed.
- Birds of Bodnant: Guided walk on Monday July 30 and Friday August 24, starting at 11am from the reception centre. Free, call 01492 650460 to book.
- Poem open day: July 31 and August 28. Free, no booking needed.
- National Day of Stitch: Textile making workshop with North Wales Embroiderers Guild on Saturday August 4, in the Old Mill, 10.30am until 3.30pm. Free, no need to book.
- Pond dipping: Monday August 6 to Saturday August 11, 12pm until 3pm each day. Free, no need to book.
- Banner Making Workshop for Families: Sunday August 12, 11am until 3.30pm. Free, no need to book.
- Willow weaving: Tuesdays August 14 and 24 in the Old Mill, 11am to 12pm, 12.15pm to 1.15pm, 1.45pm to 2.45pm and 3pm to 4pm. Cost £5 per child, bookable in advance.
- Cream Tea Week: August 14 to 21, giving each person who books our special Welsh Afternoon Tea a complimentary glass of prosecco. (Cost £11 per person, call to book).
- Other free children’s activities such as craft sessions and wild art will run from 11am to 3pm in the holidays. Details available daily.
Not forgetting of course, there are 80 acres of garden, woodland, meadow and riverside for you to explore; two tearooms, two outdoor refreshment kiosks and plenty of picnic benches across the garden; and four-legged family members are welcome on #WagWednesday evenings from 5-8pm in summer.
There really is something for everyone to enjoy at Bodnant Garden this summer. Get the family together and tick off your #NTWildAdventures around our special places in North Wales this summer http://bit.ly/2ztDGd6