Easter fun at Chirk Castle
We're looking forward to spring and some fantastic Easter fun at Chirk Castle. Explore the Pleasure Ground Wood with the Huggable Tree Trail, or on Easter Weekend follow Bunny's clues around the garden to earn your Cadbury chocolate prize.
Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt
Our annual Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt takes place over Easter weekend from Good Friday on 19 April to Easter Monday on 22 April, and this year Bunny has hidden more clues around the gardens for you to find, all connected to his favourite signs of spring.
If you complete the trail you will earn yourself a Cadbury chocolate prize. Trails are £2.50 each. Normal admission or a National Trust membership is also required. Pick up your trail leaflet from Home Farm.
Making the most of Easter weekend
Easter is often a very busy time, particularly if it is sunny, so here are some top tips for enjoying Easter weekend with us:
- Our least busy times are before 11am and after 3pm, we’re open until 5pm.
- The State Rooms (the furnished rooms of the castle) are available to view from 12noon, with last entry at 4:30pm. At busy times there may be a short wait to enter as we need to manage how many people are going through the castle. This helps look after our fragile objects, and makes sure everyone can see and enjoy their visit.
- There will be staff and volunteers managing our our car park over the Easter Weekend, please follow their directions. There may be a short delay to get you parked up when it is very busy. When the main car park is full, cars will be directed to our overflow car parking areas. If it’s wet, wellies are a good idea.
- If you’re a non-member and coming to do the Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt, you will need to buy an entrance ticket plus your trails. Admission prices can be found on the website. Cadbury Easter Trails cost £2.50. Any non-members joining on the day by Direct Debit will get free Cadbury trails at all participating National Trust properties during the Easter period.
- If you’re a member, remember to bring some change for your Easter trail as you can be fast-tracked to the trail start, the trail costs £2.50. When you get to the Ticket Office please have your membership card out ready to be scanned.
- Sundays and sunny days are always our busiest days; brave a poor forecast and you’ll be rewarded with shorter queues. With the right clothing, wet weather can be a lot of fun, from splashing in muddy puddles to den building in our Wild play area, there’s lots to do.
- The castle courtyard cafe and Home Farm kiosk will be open all weekend. Our ice-cream cart will also be available. If you have little ones who struggle with queues, bring a picnic and a blanket. You can picnic anywhere on the lawns and there are tables at Home Farm and in the Kitchen Garden. There are no rubbish bins in the garden, so please ensure you take all litter back out with you and use the bins in the castle courtyard.
- Please note that dogs are not permitted in the gardens or Pleasure Ground Wood, or inside the castle rooms. The Cadbury trail is in the gardens, so dogs are not able to accompany you around the trail. Dogs are very welcome in the castle courtyard, or all across the 480 acre estate - there are walking trails available, please pick up a leaflet from the Ticket Office.
The Huggable Tree Trail
From Saturday 30 March to Sunday 28 April our Rangers have made a Huggable Tree Trail for you to discover the wonderful world of our Woodland.
Feel the texture of the tree, watch it swaying in the wind. Explore the birds and insects that live in and around our trees. From birds to bees, from bark to beetles , there is so much to discover.
Normal admission applies (National Trust members are free). Please note that dogs are not permitted in the gardens or Pleasure Ground Wood, so you will not be able to complete the trail with your dog. Dogs are welcome on the walks across our lovely 480 acre estate. Please contact us if you need more details before you travel.
Get fit this Spring:
- Our free nordic walking groups meet every Tuesday and Thursday.
- Our free beginner running group meets every Saturday.
- Our Trust10 10k trail takes place on the fourth Sunday of each month. This is Sunday 28 April.
Join a guided estate walk on Sunday 7 April and Sunday 28 April.These volunteer guided walks give a great opportunity to explore and find out more about this beautiful and important estate. Meet at Home Farm at 11am
For more events and more information on those listed above please visit our What's On page here.
Find the 'signs of spring' at Chirk Castle
Spring is on its way - the flowers are blooming, trees are blossoming, and birds are chirping. Now is the perfect time to get outdoors to spot the signs of spring at Chirk Castle, and our nearby properties Erddig and Powis Castle - all within an hour drive of each other. Whether you love daffodils, bluebells, lambs in the parkland or the sight of returning swallows you can spot them all with us.
Download our signs of spring trail to follow spring across our three properties:
We'd love to see your signs of spring pictures, share them with us or our National Trust Wales Facebook page using the hashtag #NTFirst.