The history of Plas Newydd

Plas Newydd's family story begins with William Paget. Born around 1505, he was employed by Henry VIII as Secretary of State. He built the main family home, Beaudesert, near Cannock Chase in Staffordshire and was given the title of 1st Baron of Beaudesert.

1st Marquess of Anglesey

Henry William Paget, born in 1768, was Henry Bayly Paget’s second child. As eldest son, he inherited the title, 2nd Earl of Uxbridge.
 
Most famous for leading the cavalry in the Battle of Waterloo 1815, he lost a leg and was awarded the title ‘Marquess of Anglesey’ for his bravery.
 

5th Marquess of Anglesey

Born Henry Cyril Paget, in 1875, the only son of the 4th Marquess, he inherited the title in 1898.
 
A very exuberant fellow, who loved the theatre. He bankrupted the family holding ‘the Great Anglesey Sales’ (40 days of sales with more than 40,000 lots) to recoup some of his debts.
 

6th Marquess of Anglesey

Charles Alexander Henry Paget, first cousin to the 5th Marquess, inherited the title in 1905.
 
He sold Beaudesert, the main family home and modernised Plas Newydd. He installed electricity, heating, bathrooms and a telephone system.
 

Rex Whistler

Rex Whistler, born in 1905, was commissioned to paint a conversation piece in the Dining Room.
 
Rex fell in love with the family's eldest daughter - Lady Caroline. Rex spent much time with the family in the 1930s, becoming a great friend to our current Lord Anglesey.
 

Battle of Waterloo

Henry William, our 1st Marquess, played a key part in the battle of Waterloo.
 
His bravery and leadership on the day won him great renown; he lost his leg and was the first to receive a fully articulated wooden leg.
 

HMS Conway

For years Plas Newydd was home to hundreds of Conway cadets learning about life at sea, playing an important part in Plas Newydd's history.
 

Life below stairs

In the 1920s and 1930s Plas Newydd was a busy place with a vast servants' area and bustling kitchens. Changes in the 1950s mean that those areas look very different today.
 

Plas Newydd throughout the years

Plas Newydd (meaning 'new house') has seen many changes over the years and was originally called Llwyn y Moel. It has been transformed from a Victorian 'party house' of the 5th Marquess in the 1880s to the comfortable family home that we see today.