A staple National Trust favourite, why not try making our famous fruit scones at home?
- 450g/1lb self-raising flour
- 115g/4oz soft margarine
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz sultanas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200ml/7fl oz milk
Strawberry jam and clotted cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Add the flour and margarine to the bowl, whisk with an electric mixer and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the egg and gradually mix in 150ml/ 1/4 pint of the milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface then roll out thickly to a generous 2cm thickness, or two fingers.
- Stamp out circles using a 7cm fluted biscuit cutter or something similar, and transfer the cones to a lightly oiled baking sheet. Knead the trimmings and continue rolling and stamping until you have made eight scones.
- Brush the top of the scones with a little of the remaining milk then bake for 10-15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Serve warm, split and topped with jam and clotted cream.