The Old Net Loft
The Net Loft is a Grade II listed building thought to have been built in the early nineteenth century.
The building is believed to have been a Chapel. By the fourteenth century Polperro was a busy port, and the village fishermen became rich enough to build their own chapel in 1391, dedicated to St Peter, the patron saint of fishermen. The chapel initially stood on Chapel Point above the harbour (in the grounds of the property 'Mont St Pierre'), but it is believed that it was moved some 200 years ago to Peak Rock, the site of the Net Loft today.
In 2015/16 the Trust's in-house building team undertook to restore the Net Loft. Over the course of around 12 months they worked to stabilise the building and make it watertight again, insuring against the effects of the weather on this very exposed site. The entire refurbishment used a kilometre of wooden batten, 2500 roof slates, nine tonnes of sand, stone and lime, 40 light fittings and seven new windows, all transported by hand along 100m of coast path out to site. It is entirely off-grid; the roof is integrated with 45 solar PV tiles, there is low energy LED light throughout.
This building, that once stood empty at the edge of the harbour, is now be available for the community and we welcome ideas from everyone for its use.
Since the renovation was completed we have had a series of art exhibitions. You can get a taste of what has been going on with these videos made by artists Sue and Philip Bennetta.
...and the building was the perfect setting to show off up and coming artist, Amie Scott's glass work.