Beetroot, bacon and cheese cake
This recipe might sound a bit unusual, but this savoury dish is deliciously satisfying and simple to make. From the earthy tones of beetroot and smoky bacon to the buttery pastry and soft sponge, this recipe will get everyone talking. What's more, this recipe has been created by one of our members.
For the chutney
- 500gbeetroot, cooked and finely diced
- 100gonion, finely diced
- 100gcooking apples, peeled and finely diced
- 120gcaster sugar
- 2tspfresh ginger, grated
- 160mlmalt vinegar
For the pastry
- 150gplain flour
- 75gbutter, cut into cubes
- A pinch of salt
For the sponge
- 120gcaster sugar
- 2large eggs, beaten
- 120gself-raising flour
- 40gcheddar cheese, grated
- 150gunsmoked streaky bacon, cut into pieces and fried until crispy
- For the chutney, place all the chutney ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30–45 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's ready when the ingredients are soft and the liquid has reduced, leaving a thick chutney.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- For the pastry, place the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt and enough water to bring the mix together to form a dough. Wrap the dough in a beeswax wrap or place it into a container with a lid and leave it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to around 3mm thick and use it to line your sandwich tin.
- Lightly prick the base with a fork and blind bake at 170°C for 15–20 minutes until lightly coloured and cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- For the sponge, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually incorporate the beaten eggs.
- Fold in the flour and add almost all the grated cheese and bacon pieces, reserving a handful of bacon and cheese for sprinkling over the top.
- To assemble the cake, spread the cooled chutney over the pastry base. Spoon the sponge mixture over the chutney. Scatter the reserved bacon and cheese over the top.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 25–30 minutes. Cook until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before cutting into portions.