Here's a 1950s family recipe from one of our team for that festive favourite, Christmas pudding.
- 57g (2oz) flour
- 113g (4oz) breadcrumbs
- 113g (4oz) brown sugar
- 57g (2oz) sultanas
- 113g (4oz) raisins
- 113g (4oz) currants
- 57g (2oz) candied peel
- 28g (1oz) flaked almonds
- rind and juice of 1/2 orange or lemon
- 1 sour apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 tbsp whiskey
- Put all the prepared fruit into a large bowl, then add all the other dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Beat up the eggs and add them with the orange/lemon rind and juice and the whiskey to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Leave overnight.
- Turn into a well greased pudding basin and cover with greased paper then foil, tying tightly with string around the edge of the bowl.
- Steam for 4 hours.
- When cold store in a dry place for several weeks. Feed with a table spoon of whiskey or brandy weekly if you like!
- Steam for 2 hours before serving onto a hot dish with brandy butter