Scotney's hot cross scones
If you enjoyed April's scone of the month, why not have a go at making it yourself at home? This recipe will produce 18-20 scones best enjoyed fresh from the oven with some fruity preserve from the shop and maybe some clotted cream for extra indulgence.
- 1kg Self raising flour
- 250g Margarine
- 200g Caster sugar
- 450ml Milk
- 150g Sultanas
- 50g Mixed peel
- 10g Ground Mixed Spice
- 5g Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Oranges, zest & juice
- 500g Cooking Apples
- 75g Plain flour (for the cross decoration)
- 250g Marmalade of choice (for glaze)
- In a large mixing bowl, place the margarine, self-raising flour and sugar, mixing together until it becomes fine crumbs.
- Prep the apples by washing, peeling, coring and cut into small cubes about 1.5cm then add to the scone mix.
- Add the dried fruit, spices and orange zest and juice to the scone mix to form a firm dough ball
- Remove from the bowl and place on a floured surface
- Roll out to the thickness of your cutter and cut your scones
- In a bowl, mix the flour with water to form a thick paste then pipe the cross over the scones
- Place on a lined tray and bake for 20 -25mins at 160c (fan assisted oven) or 180c (conventional oven)
- Once the scones have cooled, warm the marmalade and brush over the scones to glaze.