Coconut and Fruit Flapjack
A tropical spin on a traditional recipe
Cakes and bakes
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 250g dried mixed fruit
- 450g Margarine
- 250g caster sugar
- 375g golden syrup
- 900g oats
- Place the coconut in a bowl and add 250ml boiling water, stir well and leave to stand.
- Add the dried mixed fruit and stir again, put to one side while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Place the margarine, syrup and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat, once the mixture starts to melt give it a stir.
- Once melted add the soaked coconut and fruit and stir to incorporate, remove from the heat.
- Pour the melted mixture into the oats and stir well until the liquid is all soaked up and the fruit evenly distributed.
- Tip into lined tray and gently smooth out to give an even layer, it should be just under the lip of the tray in thickness
- Place in the oven at 160 C and bake for around 25-30 minutes, or until lightly coloured and set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before cutting.