Visiting Blickling with your dog
Blickling's parkland is the perfect place to take your four-legged friends for a walk. The Countryside Code is a good companion to any walk in the great outdoors, but here's a guide to what that means for you and your dog at Blickling Estate...
Where can my dog go?
Dogs are welcome in the parkland, woodland, on the lakeside walk and on rights of way across the wider estate.
Livestock graze freely, so please keep dogs under close control at all times. But what does close control mean?
- Your dog has a reliable recall and will return to you when called the first time in any situation.
- You can clearly see your dog at all times.
- You have a lead with you to use if neither of the above are possible, or for when you encounter livestock or vehicles.
Please look out for our signs; they’re there to let you know when we have livestock in the fields or if there is sensitive wildlife. For your enjoyment and the safety of your dog we ask that you keep them on a lead in our car parks, on the lake walk (our most popular and busiest route) and where there is livestock. If your dog is well trained and comes back when called, they can explore off-lead unless signs tell you otherwise.
Don’t forget, the Countryside Code is a great companion to any walk in the great outdoors.
Where can’t my dog go?
Assistance dogs only on the driveway and in the formal gardens please.
What do I need to be aware of at Blickling?
To make sure everyone has an enjoyable day please follow our Canine Code:
- Take the lead: help reduce the chance of your pup disturbing wildlife by keeping them on a lead.
- Scoop that poop: bag it and bin it to keep your favourite places beautiful.
- Paws for thought: look out for information signs and take extra care where there is livestock grazing and around the lake walk.
- Be on the ball: not everyone loves dogs, so keep them close by.
Fishing is permitted from dedicated platforms on the east side of the lake, and from the dam wall.
Can I run with my dog in organised events?
If you're taking part in parkrun or Trust10 runs at Blickling, please ensure you have your dog on a fixed 1.8m (or less) lead. Runners with dogs are advised to stay to the sides or back of the participant field. We are no longer recommending CCX/waist leads are used when running in any group situation to avoid the higher incidence of trips and falls to the runner and those around them.
As a dog owner, you are responsible for making sure the lead and harness ensures the safety and health of your dog and other runners, and should consult a vet before starting a new exercise regime with your four legged friend.
Facilities available for my dog
What better way to finish your walkies than with a treat! Head to the dog friendly Farmyard Café, where you can purchase a variety of hot and cold drinks as well as light snacks.
You'll also find a variety of doggy treats and ice cream - perfect on those hot summer days!