Things to see and do at Mariners Hill near Chartwell
With panoramic views of the Weald, Mariners Hill near Chartwell is a fantastic spot to enjoy a good walk or just admire the surrounding countryside. Walk in the footsteps of one of our founders, Octavia Hill.
The wildlife in the area includes many native birds and an array of dead-wood invertebrates. The hill has several paths which form small circular walks or, for those with more time, there is the long-distance Greensand Way, which runs along the northern boundary.
The character of the wood was dramatically changed by the storm of 1987, however damaged areas were left to recover naturally. These are now developing into maturing semi-natural woodlands. Don't miss a visit in spring when the woodland comes alive with a carpet of bluebells.
Look out for...
Mariners Hill obelisk
Holy Trinity Church
How to get here
- Address: Hosey Common Road, Crockham Hill, Edenbridge, Kent, TN8 6TB
- Take A25 to Westerham, then B2026 for Crockham Hill. After about 2 miles Mariners Hill will be on your left. Parking: Lay-by parking for three cars
- Park at Chartwell and follow the Mariners Hill loop walk from the car park entrance
- Address: Mapleton Road, Westerham, Kent, TN16 1PS
- Parking costs £3 for the day and is free for National Trust members